Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First of all I want to thank all of you who have viewed my blog and those who have become followers.  I will in the very near future be responding back to each and everyone of you.  So sorry for the nonactivity on my blog.  I have been on the back to school merry go round for a couple weeks now.  It has been great but so time consuming as you all know very well.  I have a new class of 17 awesome KinderKats and I am falling for each and every one of them already.  We are having some great fun.  I will share some of the back to school activities that we have done later.

I wanted to mention one of the activities that my district sponsored during one of our inservice days before school began.  We participated in a community action proverty simulation.  The Community Action Poverty Simulation (CAPS) is a unique tool that community action agencies are able to use to educate everyone, from policy makers to local community leaders, about the day to day realities of life with a shortage of money and an abundance of stress. CAPS is a copyrighted tool made available by the Missouri Association for Community Action to organizations that want to promote a greater understanding of poverty. During a simulation, participants role-play the lives of low-income families, from single parents trying to care for their children to senior citizens trying to maintain their self sufficiency on Social Security. The task of each family is to provide food, shelter and other basic necessities during the simulation while interacting with various community resources staffed by low-income volunteers.

This simulation is very powerful.  I would like to encourage everyone to check it out.  You will be glad you did.  I am hoping the link above will work.  If you have trouble let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment